The Charleswood Ski Club
Recreational Cross Country Sking for all
ABOUT THE CLUB
Entirely managed and operated by volunteers, the Charleswood Ski Club has provided members with recreational cross country ski opportunities since 1975. The club operates in Winnipeg as a non-profit, and provides members with many opportunities to get out of the city, meet one another, share experiences, and ski in groups rather than alone. Membership is open to families and individuals of all ages and abilities. The club caters to skiers of all skill levels.
Script is used to update this message.
PEOPLE JOIN TO...
- Have fun and enjoy a sport with others who have similar interests
- Keep physically fit and active all year round
- Take a free brush up lesson to improve your skiing skills
- Experience the great outdoors
- Travel with the Club to Canmore, Alberta
- Obtain informative newsletters
- Gain knowledge of equipment
- Participate in member lead skiing, hiking, and canoe trips
- Meet new people and make new friends
Ski lessons by CANSI
certified ski instructors are arranged early in the ski season
(hill and skill review) to encourage beginners to learn the basics, and allow experienced skiers
to tune up their technique.
A Club Newsletter is published approximately eight times a year to inform members
of events and provide other information of interest to the members. But that's not all.
We also have fair weather activities, such as, hiking, canoeing and exploring Manitoba's cultural events.
The club maintains a listserve to facilitate communications between members.
|photo: Doug Belcher
- The Club organizes day trips on Saturdays or Sundays throughout the ski season.
- Bus trips, for a day or weekend offered for a minimal charge.
- Free skill review sessions for classic and skate skiing offered early in the season.
- Social events organized throughout the year.
- Canoeing, hiking and social activities are offered in the summer.
- Newsletter is distributed to keep members informed and up-to-date
on Club activities.
- Handy membership directory provided to facilitate communication
- Membership in Cross Country Ski Association of Manitoba (CCSAM)
enabling members to support the cross-country ski movement in the province.
Cross-country skiing is an excellent form of exercise and becomes a festive occasion when shared with friends.
That's what the Club is all about. We provide the opportunity to get out regularly and meet
people who have common interests.
If you're interested in skiing, hiking or social events,
then you're looking in the right place. Please read on, we're sure you'll be interested
in a more detailed explanation of our activities.
Our main activities are cross-country skiing, and hiking. It is generally known that these
sports complement each other. By participating, you have something to look forward to all year round.
This is your invitation to join a group of people who keep active, exercise, and like to have fun.
- Our members are ski buddies who can share a fresh snowfall or a fire-side tale.
- Hiking buddies to chat with on leisurely trails, to encourage you on the energetic trek,
or just to share memories of the great outdoors. All this has enticed over 150 members to join the Club
and get involved in our diverse range of activities.
|Spruce Woods Provincial Park
Chartered buses take us to snow country for a day or a weekend. We visit some of Pinawa, Grand Beach, Sprucewoods, Pumpkin Creek,
Shannondale, Turtle Mountain, Riding Mountain; and out of province ski areas of Giants Ridge, Minnesota or Duck Mountain in Saskatchewan
each year. A typical day tour begins in Winnipeg at a central meeting place. Once you load your equipment on the bus you can catch
some quiet time, or chat with friends, while the bus takes you safely and comfortably to ski country. Once at the ski area, some
members try to cover as many kilometres as possible, while others are just happy to ski at a more leisurely pace. After a full day
of enjoying the trails, fresh air and camaraderie, there's no need to worry about a long drive home. Just board the bus, put your
seat back and savour the wonderful feeling that only comes from a day of fresh air and exercise. Join in on the fun and good times
as the snacks make the rounds of the bus.
|Spruce Woods Provincial Park Cabin